Every year, I get letters from friends giving their year in review. I ogle at the pictures and how organized they must be to achieve such feats, while I haven’t been able to get even a Christmas card in the mail for …well… forever. That’s not going to change, but I figured I might as well reflect on 2016.
The Great Stuff:
* My husband got a new job
* My husband and I celebrated 10 years of marriage by buying Legos and going to an arcade like responsible adults
* My husband talked me into playing WoW again
* My husband now has a computer that no longer shuts down at random
* My daughter now has a computer that shuts down at random
* My daughter and I had fun with a dress-up photo shoot
* My daughter progressed to the highest belt in Little Ninjas
* My daughter (crookedly) cut her own bangs
* My daughter earned 2 awards at school
* My daughter became a CATAN genuis
* My son started preschool
* My son got to ride an elephant
* My son is now potty-trained
* I jumped out of an airplane
* I ran a 5K event with my sis-in-law
* I painted a painting
* I started teaching myself how to digitally paint
* I revamped the cover to This World Bites
* I talked on a writing panel
* I finished 3 short stories (1 was accepted, 1 I’m waiting to hear back on, 1 will be the prologue to book 4)
* I figured out a name for my companion novel
* I dyed my hair purple
* I dyed my hair green
* I improved my art skills
* I took some photos
The Not-So-Great Stuff:
* I got rear-ended and it totaled my car (but hey, I’ve got a shiny new all-electric car now and have saved as much in gas as I spent on the car)
* My husband had a health scare that escalated to an emergency room stay. Thankfully, what started that has been proven benign.
* I did something wrong with my breathing that it now hurts my head to do push-ups, which hasn’t helped my overall fat-loss goals
* My kids and husband have been sick a lot this year
* My husband discovered he has sesamoids in his feet that are easily aggravated leading him to painfully limp around on occasion
* I don’t want any more kids, but my body keeps rejecting my preferred method of preventing that outcome
* I didn’t write nearly as much as I wanted to
It’s been quite the year.
Since I have been rather art focused these past few weeks, I wanted to share some of my art from over the year that I’m fond of. Some aren’t so great, but most of it is self-taught so I don’t feel too bad. The first two are digital painting, the next is a chibi/bobble-head version of my two main characters, and the last four are sketches I did on paper, took a picture of with my phone, and enhanced in an app called Snapseed.
What does your 2016 look like? What were some great stuff that happened for you?