Last Friday, I came home and found a box awaiting my arrival. My CreateSpace copies had arrived! Things I would change:
Greater top and outside margin. The top margin was a little too high for my liking. And the outside margin didn’t quite seem to match up with the inside.
Design cover off the right margin. I did my cover elements based on the center. It made my text look a little off. I’ll probably scooch the title and my name a little to the right.
Spell things right. Now I expected some grammar mistakes, since it hasn’t been through copy-editing. But misspelling a character’s name?! *sigh* At least he’s a minor character…
Overall, I’m very happy with the output. Not to mention I was giddy with the whole fact that I have a copy of my book! Now on with the planning. Items still on my list: book trailer, self-publishing company, Goodreads author profile, and marketing. I have a tentative release date for later this year, but I want to make sure editing will fall in line first.
5 thoughts on “The Physical Product”
Not sure if it’s your camera or how the cover printed out, but it looks better a little paler. I’m curious how the spine looks.
Can’t wait to see your book trailer. They’re fun to make.
Book interiors on the other hand … *mumble* just when I think I’ve got it right, it goes all ‘blaaargh!’ on me again.
I’ve added a photo to the post with a spine view in a stack. It too was affected by the right alignment, so it’s a bit off centered. I realized after holding my book just how much I had written. I even said aloud, “Wow. That’s a big book.”
Hehe, interiors do tend to have that ‘blaaargh’ effect.
Oh, yes, the alignment shows up more on the spine for me. Doesn’t look too bad though. Better than some of the traditionally published books I own.
Neato! It was fun to read this post and learn about your experience. 🙂